Infinity mirror question
Robin
2006-12-28 03:27:52 UTC
I assume that we all know that an infinity mirror reflects an image
in-between a single one way mirror and single two way mirror that are
facing each other and that is then housed in a frame. Any thing, such
as a light(LED), placed in-between the two mirrors will appear to
reflect indefinetly. My question is, what is it that we would see if
you were looking through a two way mirror that is faceing another two
way mirror. Short of doing the setup of constructing a frame with the
two one way mirrors. I would think that the light entering the cavity
between the mirrors would also reflect indefinetly, except now you are
able to stand on either side of the framed mirror and see yourself
reflected indefinetly. How do you think the reflected light coming from
an LED or your own image would be perceived?
Autymn D. C.
2006-12-28 08:35:06 UTC
You are not a mirror.
Sorcerer
2006-12-28 09:06:00 UTC
"Robin" <***@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:***@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...
|I assume that we all know that an infinity mirror reflects an image
| in-between a single one way mirror and single two way mirror that are
| facing each other and that is then housed in a frame. Any thing, such
| as a light(LED), placed in-between the two mirrors will appear to
| reflect indefinetly. My question is, what is it that we would see if
| you were looking through a two way mirror that is faceing another two
| way mirror.

You'd be able to see right through and that would reduce the effect.
As it is I can only see 10 reflections, getting ever fainter.

Losing twice the light (from the front, from the back as well)
would reduce it to 4 or 5.
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae293.cfm
Robin
2006-12-29 07:17:46 UTC
http://www.lightenergystudio.com/images/infinity/square-mirror.jpg
Losing twice the light (from the front, from the back as well)
would reduce it to 4 or 5.
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae293.cfm
I guess, I'll have to assemble one. From your responses, including "you
are not a mirror" and the attached links. Am I correct in understanding
that, one can not see your own reflection in a conventional infinity
mirror unless you are standing in-between the two mirrors? Ok, lets
look at this in a different way. You are standing in the dark-side
room, looking at a person being questioned for various infractions of
the law, the people in the lit room do not see you although you can see
them. If the person in the lit room holds up a conventional mirror
(one-way), you, being on the dark side would see nothing other than the
reflection in-between the two mirrors. Now instead of holding up a
one-way mirror, on the lit side, hold up a two-way mirror. You, viewing
this from the dark-side can still some-what make out the people inside
the lite room, or can you?. What would the person on the lit room side
see looking through the non-reflective side, of the mirror he's
holding?

Damn I hope that's clear. Pun intended :)
Sorcerer
2006-12-29 08:56:27 UTC
"Robin" <***@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:***@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| > "Robin" <***@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:***@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...
| > |I assume that we all know that an infinity mirror reflects an image
| > | in-between a single one way mirror and single two way mirror that are
| > | facing each other and that is then housed in a frame. Any thing, such
| > | as a light(LED), placed in-between the two mirrors will appear to
| > | reflect indefinetly. My question is, what is it that we would see if
| > | you were looking through a two way mirror that is faceing another two
| > | way mirror.
| >
| > You'd be able to see right through and that would reduce the effect.
| > As it is I can only see 10 reflections, getting ever fainter.
| >
| > http://www.lightenergystudio.com/images/infinity/square-mirror.jpg
| >
| > Losing twice the light (from the front, from the back as well)
| > would reduce it to 4 or 5.
| > http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae293.cfm
|
| I guess, I'll have to assemble one.

Take mommy's hand mirror, hold it behind your head and look
in the bathroom mirror. Much better than guessing.

| From your responses, including "you
| are not a mirror" and the attached links.

I've no idea what you are talking out, I never said that.

| Am I correct in understanding
| that, one can not see your own reflection in a conventional infinity
| mirror unless you are standing in-between the two mirrors? Ok, lets
| look at this in a different way. You are standing in the dark-side
| room, looking at a person being questioned for various infractions of
| the law, the people in the lit room do not see you although you can see
| them. If the person in the lit room holds up a conventional mirror
| (one-way), you, being on the dark side would see nothing other than the
| reflection in-between the two mirrors. Now instead of holding up a
| one-way mirror, on the lit side, hold up a two-way mirror. You, viewing
| this from the dark-side can still some-what make out the people inside
| the lite room, or can you?. What would the person on the lit room side
| see looking through the non-reflective side, of the mirror he's
| holding?
|
| Damn I hope that's clear. Pun intended :)

I can't be bothered to even read it.
EVERY sheet of glass reflects SOME light back again. Loading Image...

Look at your own bedroom windows at night and during the day.
Hold a piece of card and wave it in front of the window.
Autymn D. C.
2006-12-30 06:42:13 UTC
Post by Robin
that, one can not see your own reflection in a conventional infinity
mirror unless you are standing in-between the two mirrors? Ok, lets
Subtract the mirror images [...] and you may see yourself then.
Post by Robin
look at this in a different way. You are standing in the dark-side
room, looking at a person being questioned for various infractions of
the law, the people in the lit room do not see you although you can see
them. If the person in the lit room holds up a conventional mirror
(one-way), you, being on the dark side would see nothing other than the
reflection in-between the two mirrors. Now instead of holding up a
one-way mirror, on the lit side, hold up a two-way mirror. You, viewing
this from the dark-side can still some-what make out the people inside
the lite room, or can you?. What would the person on the lit room side
see looking through the non-reflective side, of the mirror he's
holding?
Such mirrors are half-silvered (I'll take that.), so you'd see half the
room's brihtness in between and toward, and a fourth in your dark room.
The briht room sees eihth.

-Aut
Autymn D. C.
2006-12-30 06:45:46 UTC
--eihth and change, iterative halvs that I can't bother to do.