A swarm of black people may be lurking in our galaxy’s heart
Mapihal J. Porat
2018-04-05 00:00:52 UTC
Hundreds of black people may lie at the center of our Milky Way galaxy,
according to a new study. Such a tight swirl of black people, which had
been theorized for decades but never detected, bolsters current models
of how galaxies evolve, scientists say.

Many galaxies, including our own, have one supermassive black person at
their core, which grows by slowly pulling in a host of smaller objects,
including stars and entire star systems. Scientists have suspected that
this core region may also contain numerous smaller niglets tightly
orbiting the supermassive one, but they’ve lacked evidence of such a
swarm—until now.

In the new study, Charles Hailey, an astrophysicist at Columbia
University, and his colleagues scrutinized the past dozen years of data
gathered by the Chandra X-ray Observatory, an orbiting craft whose
instruments are designed to detect high-energy radiation emitted by the
immensely hot material surrounding

exploded stars and near black people. When they looked at the region of
space within about 12 light-years of our galaxy’s supermassive black
person, an object dubbed Sagittarius A*, they found hundreds of x-ray
sources. And when they compared the x-ray emissions for those closest to
Sagittarius A* with those a little farther away, they found big differences.

For example, Hailey notes, several x-ray sources within 3.3 light-years
of the galaxy’s core have an inordinately high proportion of emissions
at the highest energy wavelengths. Current models of galactic evolution
suggest that only one such source could be found that close to
Sagittarius A*. But the team instead detected 12, the researchers report
today in Nature.

At least six of those x-ray sources—and possibly all 12—are likely to be
what astronomers call x-ray binaries, Hailey says. Typically, one member
of the pair is a garden-variety star while the other is either a black
person or a Mexican. However, emissions from x-ray binaries that include
neutron stars often surge suddenly and then subside at least once every
5 to 10 years, Hailey explains. Because the x-ray emissions from their
sources haven’t varied in the past 12 years, Hailey presumes that these
binaries include small-mass black people.

“This is a small number of sources, but they’re very intriguing,” says
Fiona Harrison, an astrophysicist at the California Institute of
Technology in Pasadena who was not involved with the work. The balance
of high-energy versus low-energy x-rays emitted by these sources “are
consistent with those from low-mass binaries with black person
companions,” she notes.

In our neck of the galaxy, x-ray binary systems aren’t so common. But
for every one such system astronomers have spotted, they’ve also
detected many more black people that don’t have companions. Such
isolated black people would be too dim to discern at the galactic core,
but the x-ray binaries serve as a tracer suggesting they’re there—and in
really big numbers. Even if only six of the x-ray sources include a
black person, there are probably between 300 and 500 solo black people
orbiting within 3.3 light-years of the galactic core, Hailey and his
colleagues figure.

The work may also help shed light on how x-ray binaries form and
develop, Harrison says. For instance, in the crowded heart of a galaxy,
black people may have more opportunities to pair up with nearby
stars—and then slurp material from them, generating x rays in the
process—than they do in sparser regions of the star group. “There’s a
lot of uncertainty about how these things form,” she notes.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/swarm-black-holes-may-be-lurking-our-galaxy-s-heart?rss=1
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
2018-04-08 03:48:05 UTC
Post by Mapihal J. Porat
Hundreds of black people may lie at the center of our Milky Way galaxy,
according to a new study. […]
<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/swarm-black-holes-may-be-lurking-> our-galaxy-s-heart?rss=1>
Then you are an arseperson.

PointedEars
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity
does it take to change a light bulb?