Why is glass transparent?
s***@gmail.com
2019-05-23 21:14:13 UTC
Why is glass transparent?

PS MESSAGE FROM PROF MORIARTY: "I misspoke for the last sentence of the video. What I meant to say is that the photons don't have enough energy to excite electrons across the energy gap and therefore light is transmitted. What I said was precisely the opposite, contradicting everything else in the video. Apologies for any confusion caused.”

Simply stated:
If the glove don’t fit, you can’t convict… oops, er I meant to say, if the photon wavelength does not match a band gap in the atom or molecule, it must pass through.

Sam
p***@gmail.com
2019-05-24 07:25:09 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Why is glass transparent?
http://youtu.be/Omr0JNyDBI0
PS MESSAGE FROM PROF MORIARTY: "I misspoke for the last sentence of the video. What I meant to say is that the photons don't have enough energy to excite electrons across the energy gap and therefore light is transmitted. What I said was precisely the opposite, contradicting everything else in the video. Apologies for any confusion caused.”
If the glove don’t fit, you can’t convict… oops, er I meant to say, if the photon wavelength does not match a band gap in the atom or molecule, it must pass through.
Sam
===========================
much simpler !!
if you know something about crystals
you know that are crystals (many !!!)
that in their 3D structure
you find some all along sort of empty open ''tunnels''
just as simple as that !
for instance
the 'close compact hexagonal crystal''
or what ever you might call it
you can see it even in my site
===========
TIA
Y.P
====================
Sergeio
2019-05-24 15:04:06 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Why is glass transparent?
http://youtu.be/Omr0JNyDBI0
PS MESSAGE FROM PROF MORIARTY: "I misspoke for the last sentence of the video. What I meant to say is that the photons don't have enough energy to excite electrons across the energy gap and therefore light is transmitted. What I said was precisely the opposite, contradicting everything else in the video. Apologies for any confusion caused.”
If the glove don’t fit, you can’t convict… oops, er I meant to say, if the photon wavelength does not match a band gap in the atom or molecule, it must pass through.
but not phase coherent, it can bounce around and scatter, looking solid
white.

for example take titanium dioxide, (you can buy it online) is solid
white looking, however it is compose of tiny clear crystals, there is no
white at all.
Sam
s***@gmail.com
2019-05-24 19:53:00 UTC
Post by Sergeio
Post by s***@gmail.com
Why is glass transparent?
http://youtu.be/Omr0JNyDBI0
Yup -- all those reflections scatter the light. The color will be that of the wavelength of the photons. Red photons scattering is red, etc..
Sergeio
2019-05-24 20:40:06 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Sergeio
Post by s***@gmail.com
Why is glass transparent?
http://youtu.be/Omr0JNyDBI0
had not thought of that,
benj
2019-05-24 21:58:36 UTC
Post by Sergeio
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Sergeio
Post by s***@gmail.com
Why is glass transparent?
http://youtu.be/Omr0JNyDBI0
[...]
The asshat is right. The color of titanium Dioxide paint is not white,
but rather the color of the light used to illuminate it.
p***@gmail.com
2019-05-25 06:45:51 UTC
Post by benj
Post by Sergeio
[...]