For the Reber: Comet Provides New Clues to Origins of Earth's Oceans
s***@gmail.com
2019-05-24 01:37:11 UTC
Comet Provides New Clues to Origins of Earth's Oceans
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7409

"The mystery of why Earth has so much water, allowing our "blue marble" to support an astounding array of life, is clearer with new research into comets. Comets are like snowballs of rock, dust, ice, and other frozen chemicals that vaporize as they get closer to the Sun, producing the tails seen in images. A new study reveals that the water in many comets may share a common origin with Earth's oceans, reinforcing the idea that comets played a key role in bringing water to our planet billions of years ago.

"The Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, SOFIA, the world's largest airborne observatory, observed Comet Wirtanen as it made its closest approach to Earth in December 2018. Data collected from the high-flying observatory found that this comet contains "ocean-like" water. Comparing this with information about other comets, scientists suggest in a new study that many more comets than previously thought could have delivered water to Earth. The findings were published in Astronomy and Astrophysics Letters.

"We have identified a vast reservoir of Earth-like water in the outer reaches of the solar system," said Darek Lis, a scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Pasadena, California, and lead author of the study. "Water was crucial for the development of life as we know it. We not only want to understand how Earth's water was delivered, but also if this process could work in other planetary systems."

Water you reading here?
Double-A
2019-05-24 21:32:44 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Speaking of the outer solar system, you can follow Mike Brown (the man who killed Pluto) on Twitter!

Double-A