NOVA | The Great Math Mystery
Sam Wormley
2015-05-01 20:39:41 UTC
NOVA | The Great Math Mystery
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/great-math-mystery.html
Program Description
Join NOVA on a mathematical mystery tour—a provocative exploration of
math's astonishing power across the centuries. We discover math's
signature in the swirl of a nautilus shell, the whirlpool of a
galaxy, and the spiral in the center of a sunflower. Math was
essential to everything from the first wireless radio transmissions
to the prediction and discovery of the Higgs boson and the successful
landing of rovers on Mars. Astrophysicist and writer Mario Livio,
along with a colorful cast of mathematicians, physicists, and
engineers, follow math from Pythagoras to Einstein and beyond. It all
leads to the ultimate riddle: Is math a human invention or the
discovery of the language of the universe?
--

sci.physics is an unmoderated newsgroup dedicated to the discussion
of physics, news from the physics community, and physics-related
social issues.
Joe Genteel
2015-05-02 15:09:46 UTC
NOVA ...
... a provocative exploration of
math's astonishing power
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).

NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.

Without even viewing it, one can be sure that the NOVA producers,
obsequious liberal idiots that they are, included a hefty smattering
of women and minorities as forced examples of mathematical genius.

However, the unpleasant truth is that mathematics is one of the
most IMPOTENT endeavors that mankind has created. As an example,
the vast majority of differential equations, which are the backbone
of the physical sciences, are proven unsolvable. When we consider
the IMPORTANT differential equations, that figure becomes 100%.
The very best we can do in this area is to use brute force simulations.

Another example are the "special" functions, from trigonometric to
hypergeometric. These functions are a tribute to mathematical impotence
because each of them, used daily in a variety of practical situations,
cannot be exactly calculated and are a best a "placeholder" for an
acknowledged but unattainable relationship.

In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an overblown and
largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that it is better than
nothing.

(All those who disagree have never performed any sort of mathematics
beyond their college homework problems.)
Sam Wormley
2015-05-02 15:18:58 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
I can tell you stole your lines from the jimp!

NOVA | The Great Math Mystery
social issues.
reber g=emc^2
Sam Man creates his own reality in the Macro world and can make it fit. Taking this reality into micro world can create a math. that goes into infinities.Plus instant actions.Plus electron in two places at the same time. Now that is weird. Get the picture.Feynman,and Fermi did,and you can read up what they had to say. TreBert
benj
2015-05-02 22:55:03 UTC
Post by reber g=emc^2
Post by Joe Genteel
[...]
Man creates his own reality! For proof look at this ignorant uneducated
Jew who through sheer chutzpah and loud abrasive talk has created his
own reality that he is the greatest "thinker" on the planet. Now he's
headed for Hawaii and the overflowing lake of fire!
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
2015-05-02 16:30:03 UTC
Post by Sam Wormley
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
I can tell you stole your lines from the jimp!
You are just unable to understand most of the crap you cut and paste
is puerile.

<snip puerile repaste of cut and paste>
Jim Pennino
Bret Cahill
That looneytarian jeezoid deniers are no different than nazis.
benj
2015-05-02 15:52:12 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA ...
[...]
So who is disagreeing beyond Sam Wormley? (Now THERE is a big time
mathematician!)

Unfortunately the sick joke extends FAR beyond Nova and the Libs. It
seems that Einstein and his promoters have created this image that the
measure of a scientist has nothing to do with the amount of
understanding they created with regard to physical reality, but rather
they are rated according to how much obscure and indecipherable
mathematics they can generate. The unspoken idea being: "If what this
guy is saying is so complex and unfamiliar I can't understand it, he
must REALLY be "smart"! Certainly smarter than I am!
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
Joe Genteel
2015-05-02 16:33:29 UTC
... the measure of a scientist has nothing to do with the amount of
understanding they created with regard to physical reality, but rather
they are rated according to how much obscure and indecipherable
mathematics they can generate.
Well, quantum mechanics has shown that we literally CANNOT generate
insight into physical reality. (Why should our brains, evolved
to interact with a highly circumscribed environment, be able to comprehend
ultimate reality?)

But you should not misunderstand my message. I am not denying the
utility of mathematics. I just take exception to statements about
its supposed "astonishing power." The few minor successes that anyone
could indicate simply belie its overall weakness.
unknown
2015-05-02 18:00:43 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
Well, quantum mechanics has shown that we literally CANNOT
generate insight into physical reality.
( Why should our brains,
evolved to interact with a highly circumscribed environment,
be able to comprehend ultimate reality ? )
When you can't find the cause, you look for correlations.

Quantum Mechanics and Medical "Science" are full of correlations,
because the causes are unknown/unknowable.

Because the illusion of free·will requires ignorance,
people cling to it... and nothing I say or do will ever change that.
For better or worse, nature created Christians and Muslims.
Apollyon
2015-05-02 18:07:14 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Joe Genteel
Well, quantum mechanics has shown that we literally CANNOT
generate insight into physical reality.
( Why should our brains,
evolved to interact with a highly circumscribed environment,
be able to comprehend ultimate reality ? )
When you can't find the cause, you look for correlations.
Quantum Mechanics and Medical "Science" are full of correlations,
because the causes are unknown/unknowable.
Because the illusion of free·will requires ignorance,
people cling to it... and nothing I say or do will ever change that.
For better or worse, nature created Christians and Muslims.
So did the Devil created Hindu's? Looking at the caste system, may be so!
Or perhaps Buddhists? We know Xenu created the clams, but did the Devil create Xenu?

Mahipal
2015-05-02 18:35:48 UTC
Post by Apollyon
Post by unknown
Post by Joe Genteel
Well, quantum mechanics has shown that we literally CANNOT
generate insight into physical reality.
( Why should our brains,
evolved to interact with a highly circumscribed environment,
be able to comprehend ultimate reality ? )
When you can't find the cause, you look for correlations.
Quantum Mechanics and Medical "Science" are full of correlations,
because the causes are unknown/unknowable.
Because the illusion of free·will requires ignorance,
people cling to it... and nothing I say or do will ever change that.
For better or worse, nature created Christians and Muslims.
So did the Devil created Hindu's? Looking at the caste system, may be so!
Or perhaps Buddhists? We know Xenu created the clams, but did the Devil create Xenu?
http://youtu.be/QhxqTlXC48M
The Devil created the Hindu's what What WHAT?! Must I guess? Crap...

Also, long boring endless cartoon youtubes are a major Yawn yawn YAWN.

-- Mahipal "Say it It IT, or just STFU! Watch the endless @#3DHDTV youtube here."
benj
2015-05-02 23:13:10 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
... the measure of a scientist has nothing to do with the amount of
understanding they created with regard to physical reality, but rather
they are rated according to how much obscure and indecipherable
mathematics they can generate.
Well, quantum mechanics has shown that we literally CANNOT generate
insight into physical reality. (Why should our brains, evolved
to interact with a highly circumscribed environment, be able to comprehend
ultimate reality?)
But you should not misunderstand my message. I am not denying the
utility of mathematics. I just take exception to statements about
its supposed "astonishing power." The few minor successes that anyone
could indicate simply belie its overall weakness.
Misunderstand? I think I just posted this same statement here a few
minutes ago.

QM is an excellent example in that our ignorance of reality forces us to
use math to do the best we can, namely to obtain probabilities of
various things happening. Fine. It is best we can do for now. But man's
ego is not satisfied with that. Nay. They must conclude that these
probabilities are absolute MOST that anyone can do. If WE don't know it,
then it HAS to be "unknowable". What is wrong with this picture?

So, Math can be a useful model that can give us hints and ideas for
things to measure and things to try. But the current erroneous idea that
if the math predicts something therefore it somehow MUST represent an
ultimate reality shows a total lack of understanding of BOTH math nd
science. However the nature of ultimate reality in science is ALWAYS
determined by observation and measurements not by calculations and
operations.
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
Joe Genteel
2015-05-03 03:01:04 UTC
Post by benj
It is best we can do for now. But man's
ego is not satisfied with that. Nay. They must conclude that these
probabilities are absolute MOST that anyone can do. If WE don't know it,
then it HAS to be "unknowable". What is wrong with this picture?
Ego? Conclude?

It has been PROVEN that hidden variables, and hence the all-knowing
prescience for which you hope, do not and cannot exist. This is
Bell's Theorem.

Face the fact. Your comforting god has been shot down and destroyed.
Man is INCAPABLE of knowing. Period. Case closed.
Post by benj
However the nature of ultimate reality in science is ALWAYS
determined by observation and measurements not by calculations and
operations.
Interesting. You have, in a way, nullified your own above-mentioned
fervent hypothesis that man can know ultimate reality.

Observations and measurements are not KNOWING, they are merely DESCRIBING.
A theory, formulated based on observations and measurements, is what
constitutes KNOWING. A theory, mathematically expressed, allows us to
make predictions and the ability to predict is KNOWING.

Bell's Theorem reveals that we cannot develop that theory.
Robert Clark
2015-05-03 14:57:21 UTC
Actually Bell's theorem only shows hidden variables can't exist under a
local theory. They can exist under a non-local theory in which influences
can travel arbitrarily far and fast, i.e., superluminally. Bell himself was
a supporter of non-local theories.
Note also that superluminal speeds are possible under some reinterpretations
of relativity theory.

Bob Clark

Single-stage-to-orbit was already shown possible 50 years ago
with the Titan II first stage.
In fact, contrary to popular belief SSTO's are actually easy.
Just use the most efficient engines and stages at the same time,
and the result will automatically be SSTO.
Blog: Http://Exoscientist.blogspot.com

---
benj
2015-05-03 16:28:41 UTC
Post by Robert Clark
Actually Bell's theorem only shows hidden variables can't exist under a
local theory. They can exist under a non-local theory in which
influences can travel arbitrarily far and fast, i.e., superluminally.
Bell himself was a supporter of non-local theories.
Note also that superluminal speeds are possible under some
reinterpretations of relativity theory.
Which means that if you accept "action at a distance" then relativity is
bull and invalid. So you and Bell believe in ghosts and spooky action at
a distance and reject relativity. Figures.
Post by Robert Clark
Interesting. You have, in a way, nullified your own above-mentioned
fervent hypothesis that man can know ultimate reality.
Not true. I never said man can "know" reality. That is only a goal. You
observe what you can and go from there.
Post by Robert Clark
Observations and measurements are not KNOWING, they are merely DESCRIBING.
A theory, formulated based on observations and measurements, is what
constitutes KNOWING.
Babbling nonsense. So your idea is that fantasy constitutes "knowing"?
Well obviously "knowing" involves comprehension which involves mind.
However, "Knowing reality" involves separating fantasy which exist ONLY
in mind from reality which exists independently and is perceived by
mind. A theory isn't "knowing" in that sense. It's just fantasy. Fantasy
is NOT science. Fantasy is MATH!

Post by Robert Clark
make predictions and the ability to predict is KNOWING.
Bell's Theorem reveals that we cannot develop that theory.
Bell's theorem reveals no such thing. Bell's theorem simply expresses
the relationships of certain mathematical systems. Whether or not such
systems relate at all to reality is only determined by measurements and
observations. Your idea that math is the ultimate reality is the problem
with science today. FAR too many people agree with you in this nonsense.
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
unknown
2015-05-04 00:39:10 UTC
Post by Robert Clark
Actually Bell's theorem only shows hidden variables can't exist
under a local theory. They can exist under a non-local theory
in which influences can travel arbitrarily far and fast,
i.e., superluminally. Bell himself was a supporter of non-local theories.
Note also that superluminal speeds are possible
under some reinterpretations of relativity theory.
Entanglement lacks evidence and, so, it lacks local realism.

Quantum Mechanics, like Medical "Science", relies on correlations
because the causes are unknown/unknowable.

Quoting
Wikipedia.ORG/wiki/Bell_test_loopholes
<<
In some experiments there may be additional defects that make
"local realist" explanations of Bell test violations possible.[*]

[ *: I. Gerhardt, Q. Liu, A. Lamas-Linares, J. Skaar, V. Scarani,
V. Makarov, C. Kurtsiefer (2011),
"Experimentally faking the violation of Bell's inequalities",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 107 (17): 170404, arXiv:1106.3224,
Bibcode:2011PhRvL.107q0404G, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.170404

Santos, E., The failure to perform a loophole-free test
of Bell’s Inequality supports local realism.
Foundations of Physics 34: 1643-1673 (2004) ]
Mahipal
2015-05-02 16:07:10 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA ...
... a provocative exploration of
math's astonishing power
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
Without even viewing it, one can be sure that the NOVA producers,
obsequious liberal idiots that they are, included a hefty smattering
of women and minorities as forced examples of mathematical genius.
They do never tire of projecting that. Not that I watch, any more. Adults here?
A female lesbian black conservative republican (aka repuglickcunt) scores very well.
Post by Joe Genteel
However, the unpleasant truth is that mathematics is one of the
most IMPOTENT endeavors that mankind has created. As an example,
the vast majority of differential equations, which are the backbone
of the physical sciences, are proven unsolvable. When we consider
the IMPORTANT differential equations, that figure becomes 100%.
The very best we can do in this area is to use brute force simulations.
Computer simulations are not actually smarter than real equations.
Post by Joe Genteel
Another example are the "special" functions, from trigonometric to
hypergeometric. These functions are a tribute to mathematical impotence
because each of them, used daily in a variety of practical situations,
cannot be exactly calculated and are a best a "placeholder" for an
acknowledged but unattainable relationship.
In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an overblown and
largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that it is better than
nothing.
Too good. Ben? Is that you Ben? Shades of Ben. Keep in touch Ben ben BEN.
Post by Joe Genteel
(All those who disagree have never performed any sort of mathematics
beyond their college homework problems.)
And don't you forget it! Bozo Joe. Bye, and have a good great day. I <mean> that!

-- Mahipal
benj
2015-05-02 22:51:21 UTC
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA ...
... a provocative exploration of
math's astonishing power
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
Without even viewing it, one can be sure that the NOVA producers,
obsequious liberal idiots that they are, included a hefty smattering
of women and minorities as forced examples of mathematical genius.
They do never tire of projecting that. Not that I watch, any more. Adults here?
A female lesbian black conservative republican (aka repuglickcunt) scores very well.
Actually female, lesbian, leftist "progressive" (But I repeat myself)
score highest.
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
However, the unpleasant truth is that mathematics is one of the
most IMPOTENT endeavors that mankind has created. As an example,
the vast majority of differential equations, which are the backbone
of the physical sciences, are proven unsolvable. When we consider
the IMPORTANT differential equations, that figure becomes 100%.
The very best we can do in this area is to use brute force simulations.
Computer simulations are not actually smarter than real equations.
Both of which in science are trumped by actual measurements.
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
Another example are the "special" functions, from trigonometric to
hypergeometric. These functions are a tribute to mathematical impotence
because each of them, used daily in a variety of practical situations,
cannot be exactly calculated and are a best a "placeholder" for an
acknowledged but unattainable relationship.
In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an overblown and
largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that it is better than
nothing.
Too good. Ben? Is that you Ben? Shades of Ben. Keep in touch Ben ben BEN.
Hey, I never said maths was not a useful tool. I just take exception
with those who think that math is somehow more real than reality rather
than the fiction fantasy that it actually is.
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
(All those who disagree have never performed any sort of mathematics
beyond their college homework problems.)
And don't you forget it! Bozo Joe. Bye, and have a good great day. I <mean> that!
The largest indictment of math as reality, is the example of all
warmists pretending that virtual temperature, virtual penguins, virtual
polar bears are all real things. Truth is that for all their HUNDREDS of
climate models, NOT ONE has ever predicted the future climate correctly!
But still the climate revisionists scream on...

___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
/::\ \ /::\ \ /::| | \:\ \
/:/\:\ \ /:/\:\ \ /:|:| | ___ /::\__\
/::\~\:\__\ /::\~\:\ \ /:/|:| |__ /\ /:/\/__/
/:/\:\ \:|__| /:/\:\ \:\__\ /:/ |:| /\__\ \:\/:/ /
\:\~\:\/:/ / \:\~\:\ \/__/ \/__|:|/:/ / \::/ /
\:\ \::/ / \:\ \:\__\ |:/:/ / \/__/
\:\/:/ / \:\ \/__/ |::/ /
\_:/__/ \:\__\ /:/ /
\/__/ \/__/
Mahipal
2015-05-03 00:44:44 UTC
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA ...
... a provocative exploration of
math's astonishing power
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
Without even viewing it, one can be sure that the NOVA producers,
obsequious liberal idiots that they are, included a hefty smattering
of women and minorities as forced examples of mathematical genius.
They do never tire of projecting that. Not that I watch, any more. Adults here?
A female lesbian black conservative republican (aka repuglickcunt) scores very well.
Actually female, lesbian, leftist "progressive" (But I repeat myself)
score highest.
We both forgot to use the words {young, twenty in miniskirts, pink, something}.
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
However, the unpleasant truth is that mathematics is one of the
most IMPOTENT endeavors that mankind has created. As an example,
the vast majority of differential equations, which are the backbone
of the physical sciences, are proven unsolvable. When we consider
the IMPORTANT differential equations, that figure becomes 100%.
The very best we can do in this area is to use brute force simulations.
Computer simulations are not actually smarter than real equations.
Both of which in science are trumped by actual measurements.
It is not possible to measure everything -- physical or otherwise.
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
Another example are the "special" functions, from trigonometric to
hypergeometric. These functions are a tribute to mathematical impotence
because each of them, used daily in a variety of practical situations,
cannot be exactly calculated and are a best a "placeholder" for an
acknowledged but unattainable relationship.
In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an overblown and
largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that it is better than
nothing.
Too good. Ben? Is that you Ben? Shades of Ben. Keep in touch Ben ben BEN.
Hey, I never said maths was not a useful tool. I just take exception
with those who think that math is somehow more real than reality rather
than the fiction fantasy that it actually is.
Ben, I share your thoughts about Math and Physics. I just do. You have been a source of insight and guidance to me for like forever. Please don't hate me Me ME... I promise I can change... I'll be good... Ben ben BEN?!
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
(All those who disagree have never performed any sort of mathematics
beyond their college homework problems.)
And don't you forget it! Bozo Joe. Bye, and have a good great day. I <mean> that!
The largest indictment of math as reality, is the example of all
warmists pretending that virtual temperature, virtual penguins, virtual
polar bears are all real things. Truth is that for all their HUNDREDS of
climate models, NOT ONE has ever predicted the future climate correctly!
But still the climate revisionists scream on...
Wait virtual what? Like Thugs calling others Thugs, is just a BaltiMoronic Limited Nightmare?! O lets we all journalists (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, Al-ZeBra, ...) pretend to know how to spellcheck THUG?! Look the Dictionary says a Thug is a... how cute...

Thug means what What WHAT S(y)ndrome. Squared! News at 11 on ... police...
Post by benj
https://nofrakkingconsensus.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/hayden_ipcc_arrow.jpg
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
-- Mahipal
benj
2015-05-03 02:18:59 UTC
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
NOVA ... ... a provocative exploration of math's
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
Another example are the "special" functions, from trigonometric
to hypergeometric. These functions are a tribute to
mathematical impotence because each of them, used daily in a
variety of practical situations, cannot be exactly calculated
and are a best a "placeholder" for an acknowledged but
unattainable relationship.
It's "calculated and are at At AT best a..." you
@#jimpImpersonater!
Post by Joe Genteel
In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an
overblown and largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that
it is better than nothing.
Too good. Ben? Is that you Ben? Shades of Ben. Keep in touch Ben ben BEN.
Hey, I never said maths was not a useful tool. I just take
exception with those who think that math is somehow more real than
reality rather than the fiction fantasy that it actually is.
Ben, I share your thoughts about Math and Physics. I just do. You
have been a source of insight and guidance to me for like forever.
Please don't hate me Me ME... I promise I can change... I'll be
good... Ben ben BEN?!
Me a "hater"? Pishshaw! You've been reading G=Emc^2 and HVAC again. They
think everyone who notices they are nuts is a "hater"!

Me, I'm just a fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit!
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
(All those who disagree have never performed any sort of
mathematics beyond their college homework problems.)
And don't you forget it! Bozo Joe. Bye, and have a good great day. I <mean> that!
The largest indictment of math as reality, is the example of all
warmists pretending that virtual temperature, virtual penguins,
virtual polar bears are all real things. Truth is that for all
their HUNDREDS of climate models, NOT ONE has ever predicted the
future climate correctly! But still the climate revisionists scream
on...
Wait virtual what? Like Thugs calling others Thugs, is just a
BaltiMoronic Limited Nightmare?! O lets we all journalists (CNN,
MSNBC, FOX, Al-ZeBra, ...) pretend to know how to spellcheck THUG?!
Look the Dictionary says a Thug is a... how cute...
Thugs? No thugs here! Just kind loving "good boys" who laughed a lot!
Ask anybody included in the lawsuits or anybody in the neighborhood. Not
a "rat" among them. Same for cops. Just a bunch of good ole boys out
there to "protect and serve". No mention, however, of just WHO they are
protecting and serving.
\/__/ \/__/
noTthaTguY
2015-05-03 02:30:32 UTC
show when ten to the tenth power is a hundred (not in be ten
HVAC
2015-05-03 10:08:38 UTC
Post by benj
Me a "hater"? Pishshaw! You've been reading G=Emc^2 and HVAC again. They
think everyone who notices they are nuts is a "hater"!
Me, I'm just a fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit!
That just so happens to believe in and afterlife, god, and ESP.
Now before you go off half-cocked AGAIN, all you have to do is deny
believing in the above topics.

It should be easy for you, Mr. 'scientist'. LOL!
--
Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.
HAIL HYDRA!
http://youtu.be/FZcG5UOY224
benj
2015-05-03 16:13:14 UTC
Post by HVAC
Post by benj
Me a "hater"? Pishshaw! You've been reading G=Emc^2 and HVAC again. They
think everyone who notices they are nuts is a "hater"!
Me, I'm just a fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit!
That just so happens to believe in and afterlife, god, and ESP.
Now before you go off half-cocked AGAIN, all you have to do is deny
believing in the above topics.
It should be easy for you, Mr. 'scientist'. LOL!
Science is never based on "belief" Mr. "wordsmith". I have business
cards with title "scientist" printed after my name that were printed by
one of the largest research organizations in the country. All you have
on the other hand are blank cards bearing only the CIA seal with no
names or other markings on them... OR maybe they are just plain black
cards with the single word "SPOOK" on them in white letters?
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
HVAC
2015-05-04 10:49:13 UTC
Post by benj
Post by HVAC
That just so happens to believe in and afterlife, god, and ESP.
Now before you go off half-cocked AGAIN, all you have to do is deny
believing in the above topics.
It should be easy for you, Mr. 'scientist'. LOL!
Science is never based on "belief" Mr. "wordsmith". I have business
cards with title "scientist" printed after my name that were printed by
one of the largest research organizations in the country. All you have
on the other hand are blank cards bearing only the CIA seal with no
names or other markings on them... OR maybe they are just plain black
cards with the single word "SPOOK" on them in white letters?

"Knowledge Is Power"
http://youtu.be/FZcG5UOY224
benj
2015-05-04 14:08:10 UTC
Post by HVAC
Post by benj
Post by HVAC
That just so happens to believe in and afterlife, god, and ESP.
Now before you go off half-cocked AGAIN, all you have to do is deny
believing in the above topics.
It should be easy for you, Mr. 'scientist'. LOL!
Science is never based on "belief" Mr. "wordsmith". I have business
cards with title "scientist" printed after my name that were printed by
one of the largest research organizations in the country. All you have
on the other hand are blank cards bearing only the CIA seal with no
names or other markings on them... OR maybe they are just plain black
cards with the single word "SPOOK" on them in white letters?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/IAO-logo.png
"Knowledge Is Power"
Hey, is the IAO a "known government agency"? Ooops!
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
Mahipal
2015-05-03 13:30:24 UTC
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by Joe Genteel
In spite of certain limited successes. mathematics is an
overblown and largely ineffectual tool. All we can say is that
it is better than nothing.
Too good. Ben? Is that you Ben? Shades of Ben. Keep in touch Ben ben BEN.
Hey, I never said maths was not a useful tool. I just take
exception with those who think that math is somehow more real than
reality rather than the fiction fantasy that it actually is.
Ben, I share your thoughts about Math and Physics. I just do. You
have been a source of insight and guidance to me for like forever.
Please don't hate me Me ME... I promise I can change... I'll be
good... Ben ben BEN?!
Me a "hater"? Pishshaw! You've been reading G=Emc^2 and HVAC again. They
think everyone who notices they are nuts is a "hater"!
Perhaps a poor choice of word by me. Will try for better than hater next times.
Post by benj
Me, I'm just a fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit!
Sadly, Warren Ben Wabbit, I do read HVAC a lot, for he has so little to say. Every time.
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
[...]
Indeed. We are not thugs. You are thugs. And you have none of our money. Thug. Btw, you also smell awful funny. That head cover? Seriously?! Excuse us while we do your education hungry eight years old green eyed girl on the cover of all our magazines. We call it love Love LOVE.
Post by benj
https://nofrakkingconsensus.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/hayden_ipcc_arrow.jpg
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
/::\ \ /::\ \ /::| | \:\ \
/:/\:\ \ /:/\:\ \ /:|:| | ___ /::\__\
/::\~\:\__\ /::\~\:\ \ /:/|:| |__ /\ /:/\/__/
/:/\:\ \:|__| /:/\:\ \:\__\ /:/ |:| /\__\ \:\/:/ /
\:\~\:\/:/ / \:\~\:\ \/__/ \/__|:|/:/ / \::/ /
\:\ \::/ / \:\ \:\__\ |:/:/ / \/__/
\:\/:/ / \:\ \/__/ |::/ /
\_:/__/ \:\__\ /:/ /
\/__/ \/__/
-- Mahipal, pronounced "My Pal" or "Maple"... as in Loops, S(y)rup, Wood.
http://mahipal7638.wordpress.com/meforce/
"If the line between science fiction and science fact
doesn't drive you craz(y), then you're neither laughing nor tr(y)ing!"
benj
2015-05-03 16:17:43 UTC
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by Joe Genteel
[...]
What does this mean? Are you an Arab? HVAC does "know something".
\/__/ \/__/
Mahipal
2015-05-03 19:33:40 UTC
[trim]
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Post by benj
Thugs? No thugs here! Just kind loving "good boys" who laughed a lot!
Ask anybody included in the lawsuits or anybody in the neighborhood. Not
a "rat" among them. Same for cops. Just a bunch of good ole boys out
there to "protect and serve". No mention, however, of just WHO they are
protecting and serving.
Indeed. We are not thugs. You are thugs. And you have none of our money. Thug. Btw, you also smell awful funny. That head cover? Seriously?! Excuse us while we do your education hungry eight years old green eyed girl on the cover of all our magazines. We call it love Love LOVE.
What does this mean? Are you an Arab? HVAC does "know something".
Ben, I am Punjabi, Indian. Raised in Rockville Maryland. Since 1968.
Everyone who reads me, already knows this. I get the Arabic.
I walk into a bar Bar BAR, I don't cloak my appearance. I live with it.
Post by benj
-- Mahipal
Joe Genteel
2015-05-03 03:26:01 UTC
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Computer simulations are not actually smarter than real equations.
Both of which in science are trumped by actual measurements.
You are conflating two different aspects of the scientific method.
That's not good.

Equations and/or simulations are expressions of the theory that is
developed based on observations and measurements. Equations and/or
simulations are used to PREDICT, and PREDICTION is what constitutes
knowing.

Thus measurements cannot "trump" equations and/or simulations because
they are fundamentally different parts of the process.

Unfortunately, our predictive powers (that is, our KNOWING) is severely
hampered by the largely intractable nature of mathematics.

This intractable nature, confronted every day by practicing scientists,
is what severely contradicts the premise of the puerile and liberal-shit
NOVA program that mathematics is "astonishingly powerful."

The case is closed. My comments are definitive. Please do not try
to counter-argue for it will get you nowhere.
Post by benj
The largest indictment of math as reality ... Truth is that for all
their HUNDREDS of climate models, NOT ONE has ever predicted the future
climate correctly!
This is a furiously asinine statement.

Let me first say, however, that I am here taking no side on the climate
debate. This clarification SHOULD be completely unnecessary, for it
SHOULD be logically obvious, but anyone who makes such an asinine statement
is obviously not ruled by logical principles.

Predicting climate is an inordinately difficult problem and this difficulty
lies entirely in the practical realm of measurement and observation. It has
absolutely nothing to do with the nature of mathematics. Nothing.

To conclude that mathematics is UNREAL because the local weather forecaster
has failed to predict today's rainstorm is an act of TOTAL IDIOCY.

We should be grateful to the author of this ridiculous statement for he
warns us that he is a COMPLETE AND THOROUGH IDIOT and all his past and
future comments should be summarily disregarded.
Mahipal
2015-05-03 06:02:05 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
Post by benj
Post by Mahipal
Computer simulations are not actually smarter than real equations.
Both of which in science are trumped by actual measurements.
You are conflating two different aspects of the scientific method.
That's not good.
Conflation sucks.
Post by Joe Genteel
Equations and/or simulations are expressions of the theory that is
developed based on observations and measurements. Equations and/or
simulations are used to PREDICT, and PREDICTION is what constitutes
knowing.
No and no.
Post by Joe Genteel
Thus measurements cannot "trump" equations and/or simulations because
they are fundamentally different parts of the process.
What has gone wrong with you Joe?
Post by Joe Genteel
Unfortunately, our predictive powers (that is, our KNOWING) is severely
hampered by the largely intractable nature of mathematics.
This intractable nature, confronted every day by practicing scientists,
is what severely contradicts the premise of the puerile and liberal-shit
NOVA program that mathematics is "astonishingly powerful."
The case is closed. My comments are definitive. Please do not try
to counter-argue for it will get you nowhere.
You want for being the last word?! Good luck with that.
Post by Joe Genteel
Post by benj
The largest indictment of math as reality ... Truth is that for all
their HUNDREDS of climate models, NOT ONE has ever predicted the future
climate correctly!
This is a furiously asinine statement.
Let me first say, however, that I am here taking no side on the climate
debate. This clarification SHOULD be completely unnecessary, for it
SHOULD be logically obvious, but anyone who makes such an asinine statement
is obviously not ruled by logical principles.
Obviously. Duh?!
Post by Joe Genteel
Predicting climate is an inordinately difficult problem and this difficulty
lies entirely in the practical realm of measurement and observation. It has
absolutely nothing to do with the nature of mathematics. Nothing.
Stop abusing nothing.
Post by Joe Genteel
To conclude that mathematics is UNREAL because the local weather forecaster
has failed to predict today's rainstorm is an act of TOTAL IDIOCY.
You are so right, mathematics is unreal despite any climate change.
Post by Joe Genteel
We should be grateful to the author of this ridiculous statement for he
warns us that he is a COMPLETE AND THOROUGH IDIOT and all his past and
future comments should be summarily disregarded.
Seriously?! O crap...

-- Mahipal
noTthaTguY
2015-05-03 17:52:18 UTC
actually, the surfer's value of three, used to be called, pi
HVAC
2015-05-03 10:02:46 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
I saw a NOVA episode yesterday on the Boston Bombers and how they found
and tracked them. It was very interesting and illuminating.

As for the aforementioned Math episode, I have no interest.

Just don't dis the entire series due to one episode that you don't like.

Joe Genteel
2015-05-03 10:43:38 UTC
Post by HVAC
I saw a NOVA episode yesterday on the Boston Bombers and how they found
and tracked them. It was very interesting and illuminating.
You forgot to divulge the all important information that, due to
your abysmally poor perception and minuscule intelligence, your
critical opinions are worth less than a pile of dog shit.
HVAC
2015-05-03 11:28:55 UTC
Post by Joe Genteel
Post by HVAC
I saw a NOVA episode yesterday on the Boston Bombers and how they found
and tracked them. It was very interesting and illuminating.
You forgot to divulge the all important information that, due to
your abysmally poor perception and minuscule intelligence, your
critical opinions are worth less than a pile of dog shit.
Omg! Rush me to the burn unit!
http://youtu.be/FZcG5UOY224
Mahipal
2015-05-03 12:52:07 UTC
Post by HVAC
Post by Joe Genteel
Post by HVAC
I saw a NOVA episode yesterday on the Boston Bombers and how they found
and tracked them. It was very interesting and illuminating.
Not surprising you Harlow would enjoy that particular episode.
Post by HVAC
Post by Joe Genteel
You forgot to divulge the all important information that, due to
your abysmally poor perception and minuscule intelligence, your
critical opinions are worth less than a pile of dog shit.
That sentence is a keeper! I love it. Thanks Joe.
Post by HVAC
Omg! Rush me to the burn unit!
-- Mahipal "I hope I never piss off Joe Genteel to that HVAC degree. Fingers crossed, not typing."
benj
2015-05-03 16:07:53 UTC
Post by HVAC
Post by Joe Genteel
NOVA? You must be joking (and a sick joke at that).
NOVA is juvenile and puerile trash. No intelligent person who
made it past the sixth grade would find such junk worthwhile.
I saw a NOVA episode yesterday on the Boston Bombers and how they found
and tracked them. It was very interesting and illuminating.
Of course you did Harlow. ALL police state apparatus interests you both
as professional strategic writer and amateur tin horn dictator.
Post by HVAC
As for the aforementioned Math episode, I have no interest.
Again no surprise. Why would you have an interest in things you don't
understand like math and science?
Post by HVAC
Just don't dis the entire series due to one episode that you don't like.
Actually to be fair about 10% of the programs are pretty decent. The
rest, however, are simply propaganda organs for establishment dogma.
(which obviously are the portion that you and Wormley love.)
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
\/__/ \/__/
Joe Genteel
2015-05-03 22:52:36 UTC
Post by benj
Actually to be fair about 10% of the programs are pretty decent. The
rest, however, are simply propaganda organs for establishment dogma.
And you watched all of them. Whew!

You should spend your time in more constructive and edifying pursuits.
Then maybe you could develop some real insight instead of rehashing
that same old "math is fantasy" storyline.
Sesiom
2015-05-02 20:28:56 UTC
NOVA | The Great Math Mystery
human invention.
noTthaTguY
2015-05-03 02:06:21 UTC
how to evaluate the ninth power of nine
noTthaTguY
2015-05-04 21:08:34 UTC
also, a tower of nine nnes
noTthaTguY
2015-05-05 01:48:57 UTC
towering is commutative, if a)
just one digit in the tower; see the Fermat primes e.g