Maryland and U.C. San Diego USA Advanced Spacetime Cloak, Monopoles, Cosmic Strings From Disordered Ferrofluid
Osher
2014-09-25 16:01:24 UTC
See:

1) "Experimental model of topological defects in Minkowski spacetime based on dissordered ferrofluid: magnetic monopoles, cosmic strings and the spacetime cloak," Igor I. Smolyaminov, Vera N. Smolyaninova, Alexei I. Smolyaninov, U. Maryland, Townson U., U. C. San Diego respectively, arxiv 2014 (arxiv numbers will shortly be supplied).

This paper uses the spacetime cloaking effect introduced in:

2) "A spacetime cloak, or a history editor," J. Opt. 13, 024003 (2011).

Osher Doctorow
Osher
2014-09-25 16:05:34 UTC
I have cited the Smolyaninovs previously in various previous papers here.

Cobalt nanoparticle ferrofluid forms a self-assembled hyperbolic metamaterial in an external magnetic field. Microscopic similarities are found with Minkowski spacetime defects like magnetic monopoles, spacetime cloaks, cosmic strings, and as they mention in their abstract, they describe experimental observations of such defects.

The more and more I read papers like this one, the more convinced I am that experimental research needs to be as intensely covered in a paper as theoretical research if all other factors are "constant".

Osher Doctorow
Osher
2014-09-25 16:09:00 UTC
The arxiv numbers for the Smolyaninov paper are:

1) arxiv:1409.7035v1 [physics.optics] 24 Sep 2014.

Osher Doctorow
Osher
2014-09-25 16:43:53 UTC
This is not to say that there are not a few super-geniuses in physics who are almost purely theoretical, especially in India. See in this respect:

1) "A generalization of gravity," Chelthan Krishnan, Center for High Energy Physics, Bangalore India, arxiv:1409.6757v1 [hep-th] 23 Sep 2014.

Krishnan has 37 papers in arxiv, but his frequent coauthor Joan Simon of U. Edinburgh U.K. has 64 papers in arxiv.

The paper (1) is quite remarkable and seems to be opening up a whole new field in theoretical physics.

Osher Doctorow